The district’s CTE program provides students with the academic and technical skills, knowledge, and training necessary to succeed in future careers and to be a lifelong learner.
“We work alongside with a CTE-worked based learning specialist, working on how to complete a job resume, looking at career interest, working on resumes and mock interviews so they have that practice," said Marina High School CTE Instructor Vanessa Cano.
Courses, programs, and training focus on the technical and academic skills needed to attain and maintain high-skill, high-demand careers.
“I think it helps me for like jobs in construction like learn different tools and like how the process goes like building a house and like how to fix stuff," said Seaside High School 11th grade student Isai Cabrera.
CTE courses also offer a wide range of additional educational benefits, including critical thinking development, technical literacy, public speaking skills, leadership development, and planning/organization skills.
“They come back and they do say that this has been like a stepping stone and really lets them know, informs their decision making when it comes to a career," Cano said.
Qualifying courses and course instructors also offer college credit, industry certification, and internships for students.
“They range from things like arts, media and entertainment we have an education pathway as well. There are health science and medical technology pathways and hospitality tourism and recreation, which is huge in this region," said CTE Career & College Planning Specialist Kimberly Moir.
There are eight distinct CTE industry sectors:
- Arts, Media and Entertainment (Monterey High, Seaside High)
- Engineering and Architecture (Monterey High)
- Hospitality, Tourism and Recreation (Central Coast High, Marina High, Seaside High)
- Education, Child Development and Family Services (Seaside High, Central Coast High)
- Building and Construction Trades (Seaside High)
- Health Science and Medical Technology (Marina High, Monterey High, Central Coast High)
- Information and Communication Technologies (Seaside High)
- Transportation (Monterey High, Seaside High)
At MPUSD, the following pathways are offered within those CTE industry sectors in the district’s three comprehensive high schools and alternative high school:
- Design, Visual and Media Arts (Monterey High, Seaside High)
- Production and Managerial Arts (Monterey High)
- Performing Arts (Monterey High, Seaside High)
- Education and Child Development (Seaside High, Central Coast High)
- Engineering Design (Monterey High)
- Food Service and Hospitality (Central Coast High, Marina High, Seaside High)
- Education (Seaside High, Central Coast High)
- Cabinetry, Millwork and Woodworking (Seaside High)
- Patient Care Biotechnology (Marina High, Monterey High, Central Coast High)
- Software and System Development (Seaside High)
- Systems, Diagnostics Service and Repair (Monterey High, Seaside High)