AB 104: Pupil instruction, retention, grade changes, and exemptions

Assembly Bill 104 includes provisions in the area of student retention, pass/no pass grades, and local graduation requirements exemption. Specifically, this bill allows high school students to change their letter grades to a Pass or No Pass grade on their transcripts for the 2020-2021 school year.

Students will have 15 days from the day of notice to request a grade change. AB 104 states that school districts shall not honor grade change requests after 15 days. School districts will have 15 days from the day the grade change application is received to change the transcript and notify the pupil and the pupil's parent/guardian of the change. For MPUSD students, you must submit notice via the form below to your school counselor no later than Wednesday, August 25, 2021.

Requirements for Student Retention

Students in grades K-11 (2020-2021) who received deficient grades (D, F, or equivalent) in one half of their coursework. Seniors (Class of 2021) are excluded from this provision.

Parents wanting to consult on retention may contact the Educational Services Department, email [email protected]

Requirements for Pass/No Pass Grades

High School students enrolled in the 2020-2021 school year may request to have a letter grade replaced with a Pass/No Pass. Once the grade change request form is released from the California Department of Education, we will provide the form to families and place it on our website on or after July 31, 2021.

Exemption of Local Graduation Requirements

In 2020-21, students who were in their 3rd or 4th year of high school and who are not on track to graduate in four years from our district’s 230 graduation credit requirements will consult with their academic counselor and be provided with an opportunity to complete the statewide coursework requirements (including a fifth year of instruction or opportunities for credit recovery).

If you are interested in any of these three options, please contact the Education Services Department at 831-645-1200. 
Request Form
Complete this FORM to request to move from a letter grade to a pass/no pass for the school year 2020-2021 no later than Wednesday, August 25, 2021.